Thank you to all of the people who submitted wonderful family recipes in our 2021 Thanksgiving Recipe contest!
Congratulations to our $100 gift card Grand Prize winner, Ginger Johnson, who won for her famous Yam Pineapple Casserole recipe!
Runners-up Robert Lee, Sherry Wyatt, Cynthia Clark, and Holly Senger received $25 gift cards for their delicious recipe submissions as well.
Check out all of the winning recipes below and Happy Thanksgiving!
Yam Pineapple Casserole by Ginger Johnson
1 (16oz) can yams
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice Marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine all ingredients except marshmallows and beat well.
3. Butter baking dish
4. Place 1/2 of mixture in dish, dot with marshmallows
5. Add remaining mixture
6. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, dot top with marshmallows and replace in oven for about 10 minutes or until brown
No Bake Peanut Butter Bites by Robert Lee
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (may use almond butter)
3 cups quick cook oats
3 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 tsp of salt
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large pot, combine the butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa powder. Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble, then set a timer and boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter, oats, vanilla, and salt until combined.
2. Drop about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate peanut butter oats mixture at a time onto the parchment paper, pressing gently on the tops of each cookie to flatten slightly.
3. Let the cookies sit at room temperature until cool and firm. Store in an airtight container. Do not place in refrigerator until after cooled. If you do, they will be gooey.
Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup by Sherry Wyatt
“OUR N.C. FAMILY THANKSGIVING BREAKFAST TRADITION. Bon Appetit!”
1 LOAF FRENCH BREAD
8 LG EGGS
2 CUPS OF HALF AND HALF
1 CUP OF MILK 2
TBSP GRANULATED SUGAR
1 tsp VANILLIA EXTRACT
1/4 tsp GROUND CINNAMON
1/4 tsp GROUND NUTMEG
DASH OF SALT
PRALINE TOPPING (RECIPE FOLLOWS)
For Praline Topping, mix together:
2 STICKS BUTTER
1 CUP PACKED LITE BROWN SUGAR
1 CUP CHOPPED PECANS
2 TBSP LITE CORN SYRUP
1/2 tsp GROUND CINNAMON
1/2 tsp GROUND NUTMEG
1. SLICE FRENCH BREAD INTO 20 SLICES 1″ EACH ARRANGE SLICES IN A GENEROUSLY BUTTERED 9X13 FLAT BAKING DISH IN 2 ROWS, OVER LAPPING THE SLICES.
2. IN A LARGE BOWL COMBINE THE EGGS, 1/2 AND 1/2, MILK, SUGAR,VANILLA,CINNAMON,NUTMEG,AND SALT, BEAT WITH A ROATRY BEATER OR WHISK UNTIL BLENDED, BUT NO TO BUBBLY.
3. POUR MIXTURE OVER BREAD SLICES COVERED EVENLY. COVER, FOIL, REFRIGERATE OVER NITE.
4. NEXT AM PREHEAT OVEN TO 360, SPREAD PRALINE TOPPING OVER BREAD AND BAKE FOR 40 MINUTES, UNTIL PUFFED AND LIGHTLY GOLDEN.
7-Up Pound Cake by Cynthia Clark
3 Sticks Butter
3 c. Sugar
5 large eggs
3 c. All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 c. 7-up
1 tbsp. Lemon Zest
1 tbsp. Lime Zest
For the Glaze:
2 c. Powder Sugar
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Lime Juice
1/2 c. Milk
I like my Glaze a little heavy but you can do it to your liking.
1. In a mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time mixing after each addition on low speed slowly add the 7 up until combined. Add the lemon and lime zest
2. Scrape bowl and mix again. Get a bunt pan and spray with a nonstick spray pour batter evenly in the pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Carefully turn onto a cake plate and let cool.
3. Combine all glaze ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk then pour over cake and serve.
Real Dressing with a Twist by Holly Senger
3 Boxes of Stove Top Dressing (any flavor you prefer)
5-6 cups of chicken thigh meat and water it was boiled in.
Seasoning as desired
1. First, empty boxes of stuffing mix into large mixing bowl.
2. Next, place 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs in 8 cups of water and bring to a rolling boil. Add salt and preferred seasoning to boiling water to add flavor. Once chicken is cooked, remove from heat, but DO NOT drain.
3. Once the chicken broth is cool enough to the touch shred the thighs and replace them back into the broth. In smaller pan place 5 to 6 cups of broth and chicken meat into pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling add to the bowl of Stove Top and mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve hot.